Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Indian follower of Eddy's Christian Science assumed Hindus would understand her version of god

Table of Contents

According to an Indian follower of Christian Science in the Christian Science Journal, she basically assumed that Hindus would agree with her about god and was surprised to find criticism.  First, this proves that the way Christian Science and Hinduism view god is very similar since she at first could not tell the difference.  However, it also highlights that Hindus like Swami Abhedananda, while admitting the similarities between Hindu Vedanta and Christian Science, still know there are some differences (here). This blog is to use simpler Christian Science to try to build up to understanding Vedanta so that they can both be discredited.  Christian Science is a good starting point because it is very similar to Vedanta, just a bit more extreme in its rejection of real material matter, but it is its promise of special powers to heal and raise the dead that make it so obviously false and easy to dismiss.  Swami Yogananda said that Vedanta would allow you to materialize and dematerialize matter (here), but no Vedantist has ever done this.  Why should we reject Christian Science for not working and not Vedanta? 


https://journal.christianscience.com/issues/2018/1/136-01/a-healing-lecture-in-india

Of Good Report

A healing lecture in India

By Maitreyee Dutta


From the January 2018 issue of The Christian Science Journal


Members of my Christian Science Society in Chandigarh, India, were praying for our community in response to news of people under the attack of chikungunya and dengue fever. In addition, we wanted to share with our community the way to health through Christian Science. So, we organized a public Christian Science lecture called “Health—a birthright of each one of us,” to be delivered by a local Christian Science lecturer. 


Members of our Society were encouraged to pray and think radically about new ways of inviting people to this lecture. We prayed with two lines from a hymn: “We are hid with Christ forever / In the Father’s holy plan” (Nellie B. Mace, Christian Science Hymnal, No. 370, © CSBD). This hymn inspired me to pray like this: “This lecture is a reflection of the Father’s holy plan. And we are hid with Christ in God, Truth. We are led with inspiration in every activity. We are always about our Father’s work.”


It was enough for me in that moment to simply understand that God is omnipotent.

At the same time, several members and I were praying about the venue for the lecture. We had a desire to book a hall in a different location than our Christian Science Society so as to cater to a new audience. One day I was discussing the lecture venue with two other members of our Society, and suddenly an angel message came to us about a particular hall. The three of us immediately visited that hall and booked it at a reasonable price. We really felt divinely led to this place. 


Cards and handbills were printed, and members distributed these advertisements in parks and posted them on bulletin boards in public libraries and yoga centers. We also visited some nearby houses. We used WhatsApp, an online messaging service used widely in India, for sending out notifications about the lecture.


I had a beautiful inspiration to personally invite the parents of students at the institute where I work. I told these parents about the healing efficacy of Christian Science and invited them to the lecture. Most of them attended. 


There were dozens of attendees, and over three quarters of them were newcomers to Christian Science. At least one visiting family experienced healing during the lecture and now continues to learn about Christian Science and to grow spiritually.


I also had a wonderful healing. On the day before the lecture, I suddenly felt severe pain in my chest and could not retain any food. I immediately started praying. I asked myself, “Has there been something in my life I could not digest or tolerate?” I remembered one incident in my office. A Hindu colleague started criticizing Christian Science and debating me about yoga and prayer. I told him that I respect every religion that blesses mankind, and I also tried to address the impositions and falsehoods regarding Christian Science that he was stating. I thought that I did not need to prove to him that God is the only power; it was enough for me in that moment to simply understand that God is omnipotent. 


However, I realized that I had unconsciously gone on to harbor some resentment toward that colleague. As I prayed about this, I remembered a favorite passage from the Christian Science textbook: “The Scriptures inform us that man is made in the image and likeness of God. Matter is not that likeness. The likeness of Spirit cannot be so unlike Spirit. Man is spiritual and perfect; and because he is spiritual and perfect, he must be so understood in Christian Science” (Mary Baker Eddy, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, p. 475). I tried to see my colleague in his true nature, as spiritual and perfect, and the resentment began to fade from my thoughts. 


I tried to see my colleague in his true nature, as spiritual and perfect.

I went to bed that night thinking about this line from a hymn: “My God; in Him I will confide” (Tate and Brady, Hymnal, No. 99). I was awake on and off through the night because of the pain, and I kept praying and holding to the spiritual truths I’d learned in Christian Science. At one point in the night, I had the inspiration to view the PowerPoint presentation that the lecturer had given me to put on my computer so I could help him set it up at the lecture venue. The presentation included powerful passages about claiming health as our birthright from God. 


When I was preparing tea the following morning, I read out loud pages 392 to 395 of Science and Health. Many statements on those pages inspired me, including, “Stand porter at the door of thought” (p. 392), and, “Be firm in your understanding that the divine Mind governs, and that in Science man reflects God’s government” (p. 393).


After reading those pages, I was completely healed. I went to the lecture venue full of joy and inspiration. I was very happy and thanked God for this wonderful healing and was inspired by the excellent, healing lecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christian Science Hinduism - Table of Contents

  Vincent Bruno Vincent.Bruno.1229@gmail.com This blog has been established to compare and contrast Christian Science and Hinduism so as to ...